We are working hard to provide answers to your questions and clarify any concerns our Jeffco Education Support Professionals have regarding the COVID-19 school closure. We have reached out to the district with proposed contractual language in the form of a Memorandum of Understanding. This MOU would clarify in writing that all employees will be paid, as well as not penalizing any worker who is sick and needs to stay home. We are waiting on a response to that MOU.
We do have written confirmation on your payment. If you are requested to work, you WILL earn time and a half for your work during the closure. You will earn this whether you are asked to work from home or come to a worksite. All other ESP staff will be paid their standard pay.
Per an email to your JESPA leadership from David Bell, Chief Human Resources officer, there has now been a “Daily Briefing” sent out to all employees. The briefing includes links for employees to HR FAQs, which include explanations of compensation during this Remote Learning and Work period. The text of the compensation area is below:
HR FAQ Page – Compensation Plan As of March 16
Effective March 16, 2020, the following compensation plan is in effect.
It is the intent of the school district to compensate employees the expected salaries and wages consistent with a standard day of work, for each day of a remote work program, and other related impacts to staff work and attendance.
Staff will be directed in the coming days, as needed, with updates to any work and compensation plans. These updates will come from direct supervisor and/or human resources.
Staff Work and Compensation – By Type of Employee
- Administrator/Professional/Technical salaried exempt employees will receive standard pay in the standard pay cycles
- Salaried employees will receive work direction from direct supervisors
- These generally include school and central administrators
- Hourly/Monthly/Prorated over-time eligible employees may be asked to work, either on sites or from home. These employees that work during this period will be compensated time-and-one-half for all hours worked
- These employees will generally be some school and central office staff, operations staff, and others as needed
- Employees will receive instruction as quickly as possible, in order to properly report actual hours worked for the time-and-a-half pay, to be received in the standard pay cycle
- Hourly/Monthly/Prorated over-time eligible employees that do not work will receive standard compensation, in standard pay cycles
- Substitutes, classroom and others, will be reviewed, with plans to be provided some compensation consistent with average workdays in prior periods.
- No action is required by substitute
As always, please feel free to reach out to us here at the JESPA office with questions or concerns!
Please stay safe and support each other!